Monday, March 16, 2015

Dream Catcher

I made a dream catcher out of Popsicle sticks, string, beads and some feathers. Boiling wood or streaming it makes it flexible, so I boiled some Popsicle sticks for 10-15 minuets until I could bend them easily with my hands. (I burnt my fingers a couple times while I experimented with boil time.) After pulling them out of the water, letting them cool for moment and bending them by hand until they fit into a largish sized can. To prevent warping I tried to stack them on top of each other to keep them straightly bent as they dried. Then I waited a day or two letting them dry in the can.








When the sticks were done I had to come up with a way for them to form a circle. They bent more than I had expected, so I made a 5 pointed star circle. I hot glued it together. I didn't make enough sticks (I broke a couple), so I had to boil some more. They dried faster this time underneath our tortoise light.


Luckily I was able to do this throughout the week in 15 minuets increments. Doing crafts like this helps to reduce stress and helps distract me a little giving my brain a break while I was studying for midterms.
I bought some string, feathers, beads and a gun for Gordon. And I started to weave the "web" of the dream catcher.

Then I added the feathers and dangles. (BTW I'm 'crafting' on Gordon's first target from his own first gun.)



This is the final result.


The two dream catchers I've made this past year.



3 comments:

  1. Interesting way to introduce the purchase of a firearm. You bought him a gun while out shopping for craft supplies? What at the general store they carry string, feathers, beads, and guns? Good ol' Alaska. What kind of gun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... all the craft stores are on the other side of town, so whenever we go over there we check out all of our favorite stores. I check out the pet, craft and clothing stores, and Gordon admires the gun, hunting, and book stores. I did buy the blue feathers at the hunting store. I think they were originally intended for making flies, but they work for crafting as well.
    Gordon has been admiring the S&W Shield for over a year. And when he hasn't been staring at the gun, he would talk about how cool it is and how useful it would be, etc. The price had gone down so I finally gave in. He's been very excited, going to the gun range, cleaning it, talking about it, showing me how it works with all the different knobs and buttons. He's taking me to a range on Friday to teach me how to shoot.

    ReplyDelete