Friday, March 21, 2014

Its a beautiful day today

I'm currently chilling on he southern side of an all glass building on campus. The south facing windows are allowing me to keep comfy warm.

High today is 30 F low of 0 F. And the city is celebrating the warmth. And the artic winter games that are in town. I got to see the snow boarding competition. There were some really crazy moves! The city is packed. Traffic is terrible.

I am wearing yoga pants and my new five-finger toe shoes, and comfortably using the campus wifi to relax after work in the museum. The back of which is pictured there. Also visible from my perch.
 
I was setting up for a program I am running tomorrow for children and adults alike. This event is called "Birds of Prey." It's fun to run these activities and interact with people, answer some questions and hunt with them for new answers. 
I pulled out all of our raptor stuffed birds. I have an entire table to great horned owls. I have two complete stuffed specimens, three wings, three feet with talons, a head and two tails. Its really cool. We have about 15 different species represented. The best part about all of this - its all hands on. All of the birds and bird parts can be handled and touched by the children - and adults- to really explore and discover.
We also have a bunch of owl pellets for dissection - for those who need an activity. We also have a really nice microscope - the table top to computer screen kind for the viewing of the specimens. I pulled out a bunch of vole, mice, and shrew skeletons so they can compare their owl pellet bones to the skeletons. I'm hoping they can get excited about which bone is which and is where, and how it is on humans too. Last time I did this at the museum with kids I had just taken my comparative anatomy of vertebrates exam on the skeleton. It was really cool to share that knowledge I had just gained.


No comments:

Post a Comment