Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Newest Member of our home: The Puppy

Lets start from the beginning this time. We have pets. It's always been a problem of mine. I like animals and I cannot function properly without them. I tried once. I made it one whole semester at school before I got a fish. As such I've been enjoying my share of pets in Alaska. You all know by now that I have a pet tortoise named Octavious who rules the house and stubbornly tries to walk through furniture.
Well, I wanted something more cuddly. And I was stressed and I have a weakness and I was already at petco buying tortoise hay when I saw some guinea pigs. And I wouldn't have gotten them, but Gordon wanted to play with them, and then I was hooked. So we got two pigs. And we introduced the pigs to the tortoise and I got a couple funny videos. The first is the tortoise trying to escape the pen by climbing anything and everything. (the pigs tried it soon after, but they think it's too exposed). The second is the tortoise trying to enter the pig's hide out, but his shell is too wide.



Here is a picture of the two pigs hanging out in Gordon's pocket. The are super soft and cute and love to cuddle.



The the era of the guinea pigs was coming to an end. After watching our friends dog in the summer, we realized that having a dog would be tons of fun. And we could make it happen. One day, I noticed a posting for a dog. The dog was at the shelter after being a stray. It looked like that puppy we saved last year! We were wondering if it was the same one so curiosity got the best of us and we went and asked. From what we know the dog is the same age - to the month, the dog is the same size, shape, color of mutt. The dog had also been at the shelter when he was 5 (when we dropped him off). So we spent some time with him and talked to each other about it. I was a little terrified of being responsible for a dog, but Gordon thought it would be a good addition to our little family. So we said yes. We had him for a trial month, and just kept keeping him. He is a good puppy.




This is a mushroom I saw while walking Sitka the dog. We have also seen a least weasel, 5 momma moose, 4 baby moose, a boreal owl, tons of squirrels and a few ptarmigan.






Gordon and I participated in some Lumber "MAN" Games. We did log cutting and log tossing and axe throwing. This is gordon throwing the axe.


Denali mountain south view from our temple trip to anchorage.

The flats below the mountain.

Sitka is 34 lbs. He is shorter than he is long. 

We're will go skijoring later this winter :)

1 comment: