Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Campus

Campus has some unique peculiarities. Some are unique to Alaska that I've noticed on campus more than anywhere.

Crows. I am used to those everywhere. Ravens. I am not used to those everywhere. There are little to no crows here. They are all ravens. And they are as common as crows back home in Wisconsin. I feel like quoting Edger Allen Poe almost constantly.

The water on campus tastes like carrots. The university has installed BRITA water purification stations around campus. They are very handy.

They don't salt roads up here. They use gravel. Which provides a lot of traction on the ice - which is everywhere always. As the snow and ice melts the walk ways and roads are heavily covered in gravel from all the many layers over the winter.

Somehow even here people wear mini-skirts. To combat the cold they wear heaver versions of leggings and knee high fur boots. It still doesn't look overly warm at -20 F

I went to a really cool lecture on glaciers and how the mountain glaciers are expected to respond to the changes in weather that have been noted. To sum up her may great points: everything will flood while the glaciers rapidly melt, and then there will be drought when there is nothing left to melt.

I'm currently taking a really fun plant class. We are clipping things and what not for various reasons and playing with plant hormones and stuff. I was talking to my lab instructor about rooting hormones and to put a long story short I have some New Zealand Cheesewood bush cuttings in rooting hormones growing in my windowsill at home. :D



So this video is me talking to the camera briefly while walking around campus I think I state the date on it as March 7th 2014. It originally had sound and does when I play it on my phone. I'm not sure if the audio works here.

I also have these videos I had taken earlier this week of campus via the shuttle. The sound wasn't great when I took it. Mainly the sounds of shuttle being load with a lot of white noise. I put this up because a lot of people have been asking abiut what it looks like up here and what I see everyday. I will post campus shuttle videos a but later once I get those figured out.
Thanks on letting me know the last video doesn't work. Does this one?


1 comment:

  1. I should mention, although the sun is rising earlier, the ground looks much the same as it did March 7th

    ReplyDelete