Monday, May 13, 2013

Errant Knight or Knight Errant


Some people have commented on the name of this blog. The phrase goes back for me to when I did forensics back in my high school days. I did a two man play that had 5 characters:  a knight, a doorman, a king, a queen, and a princess. The basic story is this eccentric knight wishes to marry this princess and through being simply frustrated kills her family, her, and himself. It sounds fairly morbid, but it is a great comedy  It one of those where I had to stop mid practice because I was laughing so hard I couldn't breath let alone give my next line. When the king was talking to the knight, he asked him if he was a errant knight or a knight errant. That phrase has stuck with me.

Some definitions from dictonary.com
Errant can mean either 1 wandering or in search of adventure like a questing knight, or 2 erring or straying from the norm.

I must admit I do tend to stray from the norm, not exactly rebelling, but more like blazing my own trail, exploring things off the beaten path. And I cannot say that I do not err. But possibly that's when I learn the most and so I am grateful for my mistakes.
I also have a tendency to wander. I do a lot of walking. Walking and pondering or meditating. I tend to find things, adventures, on my travels. Some of my travels are not but a couple miles away from where I go to school and my adventure may be a stream I jump and watching a native bee search for a home. And sometimes I cross the county or country or over oceans. And I have adventures with the people I meet or the creatures I come across. 
I have yet to slay a dragon or save a damsel in distress, but I have watched a spider spin her lacy web. I have seen the sunrise over the mountains or ocean or tree tops. I know how to catch house flies by hand and how a praying mantis eats them. I know heat stroke, and numbing cold. I know the biting wind and the humid air so thick I must have grown gills to survive.

I have talked to veterans who have sacrificed limbs for their county. I have seen the effects of driving without a seat belt, the white sheet placed gently upon the ejected. I have talked with new mothers and fathers with their eyes glowing as they look upon the life they brought into this world. I have seen them suffer as their child suffers.

So yes I wander off the beaten path of the day to day norm to satisfy my curiosity my going adventuring. I go questing every day I live, for everyday presents something new to behold. 

A couple quotes from the Hobbit and from The Lord of The Rings

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

No comments:

Post a Comment