Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Dry Cabins In Our Future

We are moving to Fairbanks Alaska to live in a dry cabin while we further our education. We will be furthering our education in more than one way by living in these dry cabins- because of the frozen nature of the ground pipelines are nearly impossible to maintain, so some places just avoid the whole problem all together and live in a home without running water. It's not too big of a deal, we will tote our water in and throw out that used gray water. It will be interesting when it comes to things like cleaning the house, dishes and ourselves. It also requires the need for an outhouse. Outside-Bathroom In-The-Freezing-Cold-Of-Alaska. Luckily we are not the first to do this, nor that last. We've been informed it is fairly popular and not to hazardous. 

We have learned tons from reading blogs like these http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/cabin-living-grid-frigid-alaska-labor-love
Which talk about living in these dry cabins firsthand. And gives perspectives that allows us to further learn to expect as our new norm.

We haven't even moved in yet and we are being educated on things we didn't even stop to think about. Water wagons and where to put our garbage. We had to ask our landlord if we needed to add dirt/wood chips to help the outhouse decompose. How much of my life have I taken for grated that I can put trash at the curb and it will magically be taken away no longer my problem? How often have I had to live in a home without plumbing - about 5 hours while our piping to a  bathroom was installed. And I was at school almost that entire time.
I do remember a time when our water heater broke for a few days and we either had to heat water on the stove for bathing, or we just did it cold. But even then I didn't worry about using a full gallon of water just to clean my hair.

This entire adventure is a perspective changer.

Because we will be arriving by airplane, we wont have a car or any furniture, or anything bulky at all. Every thing we are being this life with is being put in two backpack, two carry-on, and four checked backs weighing under 50 lbs. each. Luckily between my husband and I we are resourceful and minimalists. Although it was strange realizing my entire shoe collection was going down to a pair of boots, flats, walking shoes and snow boots. And even then I feel spoiled now. 

The worst thing to leave behind are my books. I am a devout reader. And so is my husband we are bringing some books for the flight - like Lord of The Rings, luckily I have all the books in one - it truly hurts to leave the rest. 

We will arrive without blankets, pillows, a bed, any furnishings or decorations, we are starting almost completely new. And completely downsizing, which is hard to believe from an already small apartment.

And why are we doing this? The adventure, the new life, the excitement, the new people and places and for the school, and for the cost.






1 comment:

  1. Well, at least it will altogether be a new adventure for the both of you. I salute you for not backing down. Independence could be hard at first, as it is an absolutely new experience, but everything settle and follow through in time. Though, I'm sure you're doing quite well now. I hope you're enjoying your new found adventure, Amanda. All the best! :)

    Kristen Morris @ Five Star Solutions

    ReplyDelete